The CLIMA Fund, a collaboration between Grassroots International, Global Greengrants Fund, Thousand Currents, and Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights, strives to strengthen the work of climate justice movements building local resilience and addressing the root causes of climate change, particularly solutions led by women, youth, small farmers, and Indigenous Peoples. Reaching over 100 countries and with over 100 years of collective experience in international grassroots grantmaking, our four public foundations use complementary models to holistically support climate justice, from rapid response for environmental defenders to seed funding for emerging organizations to long-term partnership and support to social movements.
The CLIMA Fund is seeking a Development & Communications Manager who brings a combination of impeccable professionalism, intellectual curiosity, a passion for climate justice, interest and experience in media and communications, and a desire to work on a participatory team.
The Development & Communications Manager will help expand and strengthen the CLIMA Fund’s work through the core activities mentioned below. The Manager will work as part-time staff at Thousand Currents.
- Schedule: Part time, 20 hours per week
- Compensation: Commensurate with experience
- Application Deadline: Open until filled.
- Location: Oakland, CA; remote working considered
50% Marketing, Outreach and Communication Planning
- Assist with implementing a narrative strategy to grow the number of funders supporting grassroots climate movement-building, including online outreach strategies and in-person gatherings
- In collaboration with the CLIMA coordinator, coordinate the production and distribution of monthly newsletters
- Develop, compile, and produce CLIMA brochures, grant reports, and other organizational materials as needed
- Assist with writing, editing and uploading content for the CLIMA Fund website and blog
- In collaboration with the CLIMA coordinator, plan and execute events and conference sessions to reach group audiences
- Manage the CLIMA Fund’s social media presence on Twitter and overall online present
- Research and identify potential publicity opportunities, and pitch collaborations with journalists
- Collaborate with communications staff of the four CLIMA member organizations on promoting CLIMA through their platforms
- Provide support with other administrative activities relevant to communications, as needed
50% Fundraising and Grant Management
- Assist with research of funding prospects
- Write “Letters of Intent” and proposals to new funding prospects and existing foundation supporters
- Prepare proposal/application for submission including attachments and related administrative work
- Draft reports on CLIMA Fund activities for grants received
- Provide support with other administrative activities relevant to fundraising, as needed
- A deep commitment to climate justice and a desire to shift philanthropy towards just practices
- Web- and social media-savvy, especially experience using a variety of social media platforms
- Strong writer and editor, familiar with using an organizational voice; previous blog experience preferable
- High proficiency in MS Office (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint), WordPress
- Good knowledge of photo editing/design software (Adobe Photoshop and InDesign)
- Understanding and hands-on strategy and execution of PR and media relations campaigns a big plus
- Detail oriented, proactive, and responsive
- Creative, strong skills in project management and problem solving
- Ability to work flexibly on a broad range of projects and across many deadlines
- Can bring joy and humor to working relationships
- Can give and receive feedback
- Must be able to operate a computer for the majority of work hours
- Must be able to operate standard office equipment
- Must be able to travel throughout the U.S.
We are a progressive workplace and value the health and well-being of our collaborators. This position is a part-time position, with the potential of growing to a full-time position after 6 months.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development & Communications Manager”. Interviews will be scheduled throughout August 2019. We strongly encourage people of color, Indigenous, gender-oppressed, LBGTQI+, and differently abled people to apply.