“I probably would not have survived had it not been for the support and solidarity of groups like Grassroots International. International solidarity has a very important and positive impact. Without that solidarity, we couldn’t survive – as people, or as a movement.”
– Janaina Stronzake, a youth leader within Brazil’s Landless Workers Movement (MST), a partner of Grassroots International
Sometimes impact is measured in an individual life, like that of Janaina, whose family had been homeless and landless before organizing to claim underutilized land in Brazil’s arid northeast. Now she is a teacher and trainer as part of a movement that has settled more than 375,000 families.
Other times impact is sweeping, like the ouster of South Africa’s apartheid regime to make way for a more inclusive, just and democratic system.
Rarely is impact immediate. Meaningful change arises from deep and long-term commitment. Grassroots International and our global partners are proud to be part of power impacts for justice over the decades.
Here are just a few examples of impacts Grassroots International and our global partners over the last year:
- Provided 186 grants totaling $3.1 million to progressive organizations in Latin America, the Caribbean, Africa, Palestine, India, and the US.
- Funded 13 environmental and social justice organizations building power and a Just Transition in Puerto Rico from the Building Equity and Alignment for Impact (BEAI) Fund.
- Deepened our Strengthening Grassroots Feminist Movement Collaborative to support feminist organizations in countries dominated by right-wing governments, including the US.
- Co-organized a donor-activist delegation to Brazil and a Learning Immersion in Puerto Rico to strengthen internationalism.