Grassroots International seeks an experienced individual to work as an active member of its Program Team. Solidarity Program Officer for West Africa and Haiti will serve as a main point of contact with organizational partners and provide programmatic expertise in Haiti and West Africa. The position is full-time and will be based in Boston.
Grassroots International works in partnership with social movements to create a just and sustainable world by advancing the human rights to land, water, and food through global grantmaking, building solidarity across organizations and movements, and advocacy in the US. We envision a world in which a universal commitment to the health and well-being of the earth and all its peoples, fueled by successful global movements for economic and climate justice, has transformed production practices, consumption patterns, and economic and social relations to ones based on sustainability, equity, and the rights to land, food, and water. Our partnerships recognize that change is successful only when people in their own communities organize to confront the root causes of their societal problems.
- Working in partnership with all staff and especially with the Director of Grantmaking and Advocacy to ensure that Grassroots International’s programs in the region for which s/he is responsible are operating smoothly; including:
- Maintaining and deepening organizational relationships with partners and grantees in the Program region;
- Implementing Grassroots’s grantmaking strategy in the region and following organizational procedures and process, from initial conversations to reporting, monitoring and evaluation;
- Meeting program/project objectives, while staying within budget;
- Consistently analyzing and synthesizing developments and trends related to international social movements and human rights, as well as issues specific to the program/project theme/region; and
- Develop mechanisms and strategies for using and sharing this information in a manner which informs, supports and strengthens the work of Grassroots International as a whole (such as fundraising, education, advocacy).
- Effectively communicating insights and information about our work through public speaking and written materials for various audiences.
- Actively engaging in advocacy, events and coalition building.
- Participating in team and overall organizational activities.
- Demonstrated commitment to the global justice mission of Grassroots International.
- Background on international issues and deep understanding of how social movements work, especially in the context of land, territory, water, food sovereignty, and ecological justice struggles.
- Expertise around history, current political context and challenges of the specific program regions.
- Experience in grantmaking process (either as a funder or applicant), program development, and fundraising.
- Communications skills needed for effective communication with partners, allies, and colleagues.
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English, including the capacity to write clear and compelling program-related material and speak publicly on program themes.
- Well organized, with good administrative skills, including computer skills, command of MS Office and G Suite computer applications.
- Capacity to lead a team of on- and off-site content experts and consultants in a meaningful and coordinated response to program challenges when needed.
- Ability to travel overseas and domestically as needed, to meet with partners, grantees, allies, and funder networks.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work well in a team.
- Multilingual English/French required with English/Haitian Creole strongly preferred, with verbal and written fluency.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of relevant work experience strongly preferred.
Full-time. Starting salary $52,000-63,000 depending on experience, excellent benefits.
We aim to fill the position quickly and are accepting applications on a rolling basis. We encourage interested applicants to submit a resume and a cover letter detailing interest and relevant experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org with YOUR NAME in the subject line.
No phone calls please. Email applications only. Position open until filled.
Grassroots International is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer.
Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.