Ways to Stand with Nepal
In response to the horrible devastation and loss in Nepal following a series of earthquakes and aftershocks, several US-based foundations with partners in the area have established special emergency funds. These funds seek to address urgent needs (such as water, food, shelter and healthcare) as well as longer term recovery.
Grassroots International does not presently work in Nepal, although we have collaborated with organizations there. For those Grassroots International donors and colleagues who wish to directly support progressive, community-focused groups working in the region we have posted this list of organizations doing relief work. We recognize that donors will exercise their own discretion since these are not Grassroots’ partners or programs. We are highlighting a few agencies that are both responding to immediate needs and engaged with community-led organizations who will be working for long-term recovery as well.
- American Jewish World Service has set up an Earthquake Emergency Relief Fund to assist people directly affected by the earthquake, and is prioritizing support for communities in remote regions, women, youth, LGBT people, Tibetan refugees, people with disabilities, and the Dalit community.
- Global Fund for Women works with local women-led groups in Nepal who are responding to the immediate crisis within their communities as well as long-term recovery.
- IDEX (International Development Exchange) established the Nepal Recovery and Resilience Fund, which will reach the people most affected by this tragedy and support their long-term recovery as part of their broader grassroots organizing efforts.
- MADRE is targeting relief efforts toward women and families, working with the Women’s Rehabilitation Centre (WOREC) run by a network of local activists.
In addition to the above US-based organizations, our global partner, La Via Campesina, has a member organization in Nepal, the All Nepalese Peasants’ Federation (ANPFa). ANPFa, an umbrella organization of Nepalese farmers and landless people. is providing emergency relief services to 300 families in affected regions. Donations can be made directly to that organzation with the following bank transfer information:
- Name of Grantee/Beneficiary: All Nepal Peasants’ Federation
- Full Address: Balkhu-14, P.O. Box No: 273, Lalitpur, Kathmandu Nepal,
- Contact Person: Balram Prasad Banskota +977014036369, email@example.com; Prakash Ghimire, +977 014036304, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Name of Bank: Himalayan Bank Limited, Teku Branch, Teku Kahthamnu, Nepal
- Currency of account: Nepali (NPR)
- Account number: 01803464780016
- Account title: RIGHT TO FOOD IN NEPAL (ANPFA)
- BANK SWIFTCODE: HIMANPKA
Photo: A Buddha statue surrounded by debis from a collapsed temple in the UNESCO World Heritage site of Bhaktapur. Photo courtesy of CNN